Pages

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

How to be invisible in cyberspace

I know, it seems more and more unlikely, but they do exist, these people that you cannot trace on the web. I've been wondering about an old friend and his whereabouts but if I Google him, I draw a blank. Actually, there is 1 hit that could possibly be him but I don't have any information to concur that he really is.

Wired had a cover story about shedding your identity in a digital age in its December 2009 issue. About how you really-really-really have to work very hard if you want to become untraceable. I can't imagine my friend has disappeared so completely because he doesn't want to be found. Or maybe he has? But just NOT being part of any social network, any professional network or even popping up in a Google query remains bizarre.

Let's just hope it doesn't mean something is really wrong. Let's just assume it's a generational thing and he's just not ... online.

No comments: